Get all the latest news on home energy efficiency!
A Programmable Thermostat Makes Your Home More Energy Efficient
Having a programmable thermostat is a great way to stay in control of how much energy you use to regulate your home’s temperature, as well as keeping it comfortable inside.
By pre-programming temperatures, you can make sure that energy isn’t being wasted unnecessarily. For example, during the summer, if you know your home’s going to be empty during the day, set the temperature so that the house only begins to start cooling shortly before family members come home. There’s no point in using up energy to cool an empty house! And the same principle applies in winter too; set the temperature back during the daytime when the family is out of the house at work and school, and then warm it up again before they start arriving home.
Following are the some programmable thermostat settings to make your home more energy efficient:
- In summer, you’ll want to set your thermostat to 78˚F when you’re home and raise it to 88˚F when no one’s home.
- If you’re going away on summer vacation, turn the temperature up even higher for the time you’re gone – cooling the house when you return costs less and can save you 10% or more on your cooling costs.
- In winter, set your thermostat to 68˚F when you’re home and lower it to 58˚F when you’re away.
- During the colder seasons, when going to bed, set the temperature back to 56˚F – warm blankets and bedcovers will keep you warm enough!
- If you’re planning a winter getaway, set your temperature back to 50˚F for the duration of your trip – it’s just warm enough that you won’t have to worry about your pipes freezing and will save a lot of money.
With a programmable thermostat, you’ll only have to think about setting up a temperature schedule, and after that, it’ll take care of itself!
Want to learn more? Read about the savings you can enjoy with a programmable thermostat.
Looking for more information?
Turn out the light when you leave a room - install energy efficient light bulbs - keep the air conditioning at a minimum -...»Read More Views:
Technology is supposed to be making our lives easier and while many would argue that it’s not, one thing it is doing is...»Read More Views:
What many people think about first when they hear the words ‘home automation’ are fancy home security systems that have...»Read More Views: